If you need help urgently click here
What is domestic abuse?
Domestic abuse isn't just physical. It’s about someone you know trying to control your life - a partner, ex partner, friend or family member. It can be financial, psychological, emotional or sexual and there is no excuse for it. Abuse can affect your long term self esteem and wellbeing and also your children’s.
- Are you prevented from seeing friends or family or from leaving the house?
- Are you constantly criticised?
- Does anyone constantly check up on you or follow you?
- Have you or your children been hurt or threatened?
- Does someone control your finances?
- Are you made to take part in sexual activity that you don’t like or aren’t comfortable with? This can include forced sex
- Are you afraid?
Domestic abuse can happen to anyone. Any age, any culture, any social class, any religion
Any woman can experience domestic violence regardless of race, ethnic or religious group, class, disability or lifestyle. Domestic violence can also take place in lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender relationships, and can involve other family members, including children.